The inimitable Coco Chanel used to say, “Fashion fades, only style remains the same.” And she was right. Basic clothing replaces glamorous things in our wardrobes all the time. High-waisted jeans came in as a replacement for low-rise jeans and eyebrows that reminded us of thin thread are considered tasteless now. To stay attractive, we don’t have to follow the trends. It’s enough to adhere to the rules that real fashion gurus shared many years ago, and they’re still relevant.
We at Enlighten prepared a collection of quotes from famous celebrities for whom beauty and style are not just words, but a way of life.
- “Grooming is the secret of real elegance. The best clothes, the most wonderful jewels, the most glamorous beauty don’t count without good grooming.” (Christian Dior).
- “Elegance is not catching somebody’s eyes, it’s staying in somebody’s memory.” (Giorgio Armani).
Scent of a Woman / Universal Pictures
- “To be beautiful, all a woman needs is a black pullover and a black skirt and to be arm in arm with a man she loves.” (Yves Saint-Laurent)
- “A woman’s perfume tells more about her than her handwriting.” (Christian Dior)
“Shoes must have very high heels and platforms to put women’s beauty on a pedestal.” (Vivienne Westwood)
AllaSerebrinal / Depositphoto
- “You don’t need to lose femininity by wearing a suit, the first thing I think is, ’Is she wearing lace underwear?’” (Stefano Gabbana)
“I’ve always thought of the T-shirt as the Alpha and Omega of the fashion alphabet.” (Giorgio Armani)
- “I have often said that I wish I had invented blue jeans: the most spectacular, the most practical, the most relaxed and nonchalant. They have expression, modesty, sex appeal, simplicity — all I hope for in my clothes.” (Yves Saint-Laurent)
Innamorato pazzo / United Artists Europa
- “Black is the essential uniform. It takes you from day to evening. It’s always safe…and it’s always sexy.” (Donna Karan)
“When putting on accessories, take off the last thing you’ve put on.” (Coco Chanel)
“The biggest message is every time you buy something, always think, ’Will I wear it a minimum of 30 times?’ If the answer is yes, then buy it. But you’d be surprised how many times you say no.” (Livia Firth)
The Mirror Has Two Faces / Phoenix Pictures
“Sweatpants are a sign of defeat. You lost control of your life so you bought some sweatpants.” (Karl Lagerfeld)
“Young girls need to learn that sexiness isn’t about being naked.” (Marc Jacobs)
Malèna / Medusa Produzione
“Buy less, choose well, and do it yourself!” (Vivienne Westwood)
“Building a proper wardrobe is like building a home. Indeed, you should think of it like a home because it is something you’re going to live in. It must be comfortable and suit all your needs.” (Edith Head)
Schastlivy vmeste / Sony Pictures TelevisionIroniya sudby. Prodolzhenie / Bazelevs ProductionGorko! / Bazelevs Production
“The dress must follow the body of a woman, not the body following the shape of the dress.” (Hubert de Givenchy)
“When a woman puts on a heel, she has a different posture, a different attitude. She really stands up and has a consciousness of her body.” (Christian Louboutin)
“Nothing makes a woman look older than obvious expensiveness and complication.” (Coco Chanel)
- “A woman’s dress should be like a barbed-wire fence: serving its purpose without obstructing the view.” (Sophia Loren)
Ieri oggi domani / Compagnia Cinematografica Champion
“Walk like you have 3 men walking behind you.” (Oscar de la Renta)
“You gotta have style. It helps you get down the stairs. It helps you get up in the morning. It’s a way of life. Without it, you’re nobody. I’m not talking about lots of clothes.” (Diana Vreeland)
“When in doubt, wear red.” (Bill Blass)
“Elegance is the only beauty that never fades.” (Audrey Hepburn)
Do you have a favorite quote about beauty and style? Share it with our readers.