Cooking is one of those essential skills you should know to survive. While cooking can be a breeze, for others, it might be the most complicated thing on earth. Well, truth be told, it’s not rocket science — it’s just a well-orchestrated procedure that results in the symphony of good food! You’ve just got to know the right tricks to get that cooking done right.
While you’ve got the cooking action happening, Enlighten has the hacks. Here are 15 amazing tips that can amp up your cooking game and turn you into a master chef.
1. To get thin, even slices of onion, use a vegetable peeler.
2. To triple the life of green onions, store them in a jar of water on the countertop.
3. Adding some dark chocolate to the coffee filter will make your drink tastier.
4. To get rid of extra fat in your food, wrap a few ice cubes in a paper towel and skim them across the top. The fat will solidify and get absorbed in the paper towel.
5. For crispier hash browns, squeeze out excess moisture from the shredded potatoes before frying.
6. Remove the smell of garlic or onion from your hands by rubbing them with stainless steel and washing them afterward.
7. Prevent sliced apples from browning by storing them in a bowl of water along with a few drops of lemon essential oil.
8. Save your bread from getting stale by simply putting fresh celery in the bag.
9. Slow down tomatoes from rotting by storing them stem-down at room temperature.
10. To avoid crying while chopping onions, keep them in the refrigerator for 15 minutes before cutting.
11. De-stem herbs like cilantro quickly by passing the stem through holes in a colander and pulling them.
12. Adding some salt to the pan before frying prevents foods from soaking up too much oil.
13. If a recipe calls for some form of oil and honey, agave, molasses, or any other thick substance, always measure the oil first so the thicker substance slides right out of the measuring cup.
14. Avoid the unpleasant smell of fried food by putting some apple skins and a slice of the apple in the pot with the oil before frying.
15. To avoid squishing your cinnamon roll, skip the knife and cut them using unflavored dental floss.
Whether you’re a pro at chopping up veggies or just a beginner venturing into the world of cooking, these little hacks would surely step up your cooking game. Let us know if you found these hacks helpful in the comments below.