As it turns out, 60% of dust gets into our homes from the street since we bring it in on our shoes and let it in through the windows and doors. Where does the rest of the 40% come from, you ask? Our clothes, furniture, carpets, and other things literally emit microparticles into the air and later become dust.

We at Enlighten realized a long time ago that it’s impossible to get rid of dust, especially since we oftentimes search for it in the wrong places. If you’re tired from your home not becoming clean after wiping all the shelves and pounding your feather pillows, we recommend that you check your actions based on our list.

1. Air humidifier

Devanath / Pixabay

Not only do dust mites live in dust, but they also take an active part in its production. Moreover, they cause allergic reactions. These microorganisms love humidity, which is why a home that has an air humidifier in it is a paradise for them. In order not to turn your home into an all-inclusive resort for dust mites, it’s better not to switch the device to full power, but instead, keep the level of humidity at 40%-50%.

It’s also worth noting that ultrasonic and mechanical humidifiers create dust by themselves. As the water evaporates, the minerals dissolved in it turn into so-called white dust. It covers furniture and other surfaces with a thin layer in the room where the device is operating.

2. Clothes washed with a softener

Any fabric consists of fibers that crumble over time and turn into dust. If the particles of a product stay on threads, the process becomes even more active. That’s what happens if you wash your clothes with a softener. The product penetrates into the fabric fibers and then crumbles. That’s why sometimes it’s better to do without the softener.

3. House plants

Fusionstudio / Shutterstock

Yes, house plants do clean the air and reduce dustiness. However, they don’t absorb big particles and become dirty on their own over time. The accumulated dust worsens the filtering properties of plants and prevents the normal flow of photosynthesis. The amount of chlorophyll in the leaves decreases, causing the beloved flower to no longer clean the air but act as a dust collector. In order to prevent this from happening, plants should be periodically cleaned.

4. Papers and cartons

The paper fibers crumble and generate dust — that’s the reason why we have to wipe down bookshelves so often. Moreover, there are other sources of paper dust in homes, such as old newspapers and magazines, shoe boxes, paper packaging from home appliances, and more. The paper should be stored outside the home and be used for utilization only.

5. Bed

A warm bed is a perfect environment for dust mites. If possible, it’s worth replacing pillows, blankets, and mattresses made of natural down feathers with products that have synthetic fillers. To achieve the best effect, you can use protective mattress toppers and bed box-spring covers.

6. A TV set in the kitchen

All electronic appliances attract dust, while the top parts of furniture and home appliances are always dirty. It makes a TV set on the fridge a true dust combo. And the funniest part? Most people don’t even switch the thing on.

Try looking at your home with a fresh eye — perhaps you have appliances that no one uses that you could simply get rid of, sell, or give as a present to someone.

7. Big, fluffy carpets in each room