It’s becoming more and more trendy to eat healthy foods. When we look at the shelves in grocery stores and study the ingredients of every single thing we eat, it’s easy to see which foods are more useful to our bodies and which ones are more harmful. But scientific studies have proven that it’s hard to tell what is truly beneficial to our health and what isn’t since many foods actually contain a lot of different chemicals we didn’t even know existed.
At Enlighten, we’ve researched this topic and found some foods that can have both negative and positive effects on our psyches.
- Peeled rice contains fast carbohydrates which make glucose molecules get into the blood quickly. Your sugar level can change dramatically which can have a negative effect on brain health and the nervous system.
- Popcorn contains protein, gold, phosphorus, iron, silicon, and magnesium which allow the nervous system to function properly. And the vitamin B that popcorn contains also helps to battle depression and stress.
- Tuna contains a lot of mercury. And a lot of mercury in the body can lead to memory problems. It also contains polychlorinated biphenyl which is a synthetic chemical that affects hormones and disrupts the function of the nervous system.
- Lard contains a rare arachidonic acid. It’s found in the body’s tissue and is irreplaceable when it comes to helping normal brain function. It also helps to fight Alzheimer’s disease.
- Crops contain gluten that is necessary for them to grow. The antibodies (the protein compounds that prevent the reproduction of microorganisms and destroy the toxic products they make) in gluten can also attack the chemicals that are very important to us. So, if we have a lack of these chemicals, we could suffer from panic attacks and depression.
- Dark chocolate contains flavonoids which are responsible for the activation of brain cells. This food makes the vessels bigger, stimulates brain function and supplies it with oxygen.
- Solid cheese contains tyramine which is produced when protein breaks down. Tyramine can significantly increase blood pressure and provoke migraines.
- Baked potatoes are rich in potassium which sends oxygen to the brain. It also contains glucose, vitamin B, and amino acids which all increase the blood supply to the brain to ensure it receives all the necessary energy to function.
- Beans contain tannic acid. If your body has too much of it, it will have trouble breaking down minerals, such as iron. This can lead to problems with blood supply to the brain and the development of anemia.
Curcumin, which is the main ingredient in curry, contains a lot of antioxidants and fights aging of the brain. They support cognitive functions that usually become worse with age.
Saffron contains a lot of minerals, vitamin B, and vitamin C. It makes the brain function better and even treats some disorders.
Cinnamon makes the brain more active because it contains these extremely important ingredients: cinnamyl alcohol and cinnamaldehyde. The smell of cinnamon helps us to solve tasks that require a lot of attention, visual memory, and fast reactions.
Did you find any of your favorite foods on the list? Are they harmful or beneficial? Tell us in the comment section below.